Tuesday, February 15, 2011

DIY Almond Milk

I never realized it was this easy to make almond milk (or any kind of nut milk).   Although I've never really been interested in it before (the only non-dairy  milk I've ever gotten into was soymilk),  my plan to embark on this "detox cleanse" made it inevitable that I consider it.   I've been reading "Clean" by Alejandro Junger lately, and I saw his recipe for a basic nut milk.  Out of the blue, today, I decided to try it out.  Total preparation time was less than 10 minutes (excluding the 3 hour soaking) and I got really really excited about it.  Once again, endless possibilities! This made me look forward to detoxing more :)

The recipe:

Basic Nut Milk


1 cup of nuts, soaked for 3 hours in purified water  (I used leftover slivered almonds)
1 teaspoon vanilla powder or extract  ( I ran out, so I used equal amount of maple syrup)
1 to 2 teaspoons agave syrup or brown rice syrup
3 cups purified water


Drain nuts, discarding water.  Place in blender with vanilla powder/extract, sweeter and 3 cups purified water. Blend for about 3 minutes.  Strain through fine strainer or cheesecloth.  Store in refrigerator, Lasts for 2 days.


(Source: "Clean" by Alejandro Junger, M.D.)

I took a photo of my attempt at almond milk below.  Amazingly easy.:)



No comments:

Post a Comment