Thursday, February 3, 2011

Chicken Breasts with Balsamic Vinegar and Capers

I knew I was going to have chicken for lunch today, but I had no idea what kind yet, until I remembered a friend told me that chicken marinated in balsamic vinegar was delicious.   I had no idea what her recipe was, and she's on the other side of the world, so I decided maybe it's time for me to experiment in the kitchen. 

Here's what I came up with, and surprisingly, it turned out really good.  Simple but immensely satisfying. :)

I cooked for one, so just adjust accordingly.  I feel this is one of those recipes that don't really need strict amounts or strict measurements. 


Ingredients:

1 chicken breast fillet
Olive oil
1/8 - 1/4  cup balsamic vinegar
one garlic clove, crushed.
2 sprigs fresh thyme
pinch of sugar
salt and pepper
capers

Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and grease an ovenproof baking dish with a little olive oil.  

Season  chicken with salt and pepper, and rub olive oil all over it to tenderize.  Combine balsamic vinegar, crushed garlic clove, thyme and sugar.  Pour all over chicken and let sit for at least 10 minutes.  

Transfer chicken to baking dish and add the capers on top (amount depending on your taste).  Bake for about 15 minutes or until juices run clear.  Serve immediately.




I was surprised this turned out delicious.  I drizzled the pan juices over the chicken, and had it with some brown rice.  The sweet, salty  and tart flavors just all surprisingly come together.  Not bad for a kitchen experiment, although, to be honest, even if it didn't turn out to be quite as good, I probably would have eaten it anyway. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment